Tuesday 12 February 2008

A sad moment in a happy context

During the weekend got the following question over a dinner (The happy context was Mattias Klum turning 40 years) “name one thing that is bad about climate change”… Such a strange question to get 2008. My response was another question (as I think the reply is valid for climate change as well) “Can you name one bad thing about war”. (in the same

It got me thinking that even educated people with time to think might have a hard time to understand the magnitude of the challenge and the suffering climate change already is causing.


Maybe it is media that is creating this longing for “one” answer and make it hard for people to deal with complexity, especially if it is in the shape of a black swan (something that you have never seen before).


Maybe it was just a bad conversation starter, as an optimist I hope that it was the case and not that we are more ignorant that I dare to think.

PS
James at WEF reminded me yesterday about the situation in China and here is a link to a weather related article (this took place as they were preparing celebrations for the Chinese new year)